The Victorian Government has strongly supported our healthcare workforce – and we always will.
In this Budget, we’re investing $201 million in a range of initiatives to give our healthcare workers the helping hand they need, including:
- $73 million for additional nursing staff in intensive care, high dependency and emergency department units.
- $37 million in sign‑on bonuses for new nursing graduates to encourage them to enter the public system.
- $34 million to improve midwife to patient ratios on night shifts in maternity services to provide more skilled care.
- $32 million for medical graduate incentives to undertake general practitioner (GP) training.
- $15 million to expand the health workforce, including financial and international recruitment incentives.
- $6.1 million to employ an additional 30 nurses to provide residential in‑reach services for older Victorians.
- $4 million to create centralised portals for education and employment checks.
Reviewed 18 May 2023