Investment $2.2 billion
Our suburbs are growing rapidly, and our road network is feeling the pinch. That’s why this Budget invests almost $2.2 billion in the Suburban Roads Upgrade in Melbourne’s northern and south-eastern suburbs, building on the Western Roads Upgrade funded in last year’s budget. This will upgrade and improve the local roads that drivers in Melbourne’s outer suburbs use every day.
What will the money be used for?
The Victorian Budget 2018/19 includes investments for:
Suburban Roads Upgrade northern arterial roads
The Suburban Roads Upgrade includes duplication and upgrade works to northern arterial roads including:
- Childs Road, from Beaumont Crescent to Prince of Wales Avenue, Mill Park
- Craigieburn Road, from Mickleham Road to Hume Highway, Craigieburn
- Epping Road, from Craigieburn Road to Memorial Avenue, Epping
- Fitzsimmons Lane, Templestowe
- Sunbury Road, from Bulla-Diggers Rest Road to Powlett Street, Sunbury
- Yan Yean Road from Kurrak Road Yarrambat to Bridge Inn Road Doreen, and Bridge Inn Road, from Plenty Road to Yan Yean Road Doreen
Suburban Roads Upgrade south-eastern arterial roads
The Suburban Roads Upgrade will include duplication and upgrade works to south-eastern arterial roads including:
- Golf Links Road, from Peninsula Link to Baxter-Tooradin Road, and Grant Road, from Baxter-Tooradin Road to Frankston-Flinders Road, Langwarrin South
- Healesville – Koo Wee Rup Road, from Princes Freeway to Manks Road, Pakenham
- Hallam North Road, from Heatherton Road to James Cook Drive, Endeavour Hills
- Lathams Road, from Oliphant Way to Frankston-Dandenong Road, Carrum Downs
- Narre Warren – Cranbourne Road, from Thompsons Road to South Gippsland Highway, Cranbourne
- Pound Road West, new bridge over Cranbourne rail line to connect Pound Road West and Remington Drive, Dandenong South
- Thompsons Road, including signalised intersection upgrades at Dandenong-Frankston Road and Narre Warren – Cranbourne Road
The Budget also provides:
Road repairs across metropolitan Melbourne
$116 million to repair roads across metropolitan Melbourne to improve safety on our road network.
Encourage more Victorians to walk or ride
$22.7 million for projects that encourage more Victorians to walk or ride.
Strengthen bridges across Victoria
$21.1 million to strengthen bridges across Victoria, including bridges on key freight routes, the St Kilda Junction tram bridge and other related bridge upgrades.