BudgetHack is a community event is for data analysts, communicators, researchers, designers, developers – really anyone that is interested, to come together and explore different ways to present and make sense of the state budget information.
Terms and conditions
The BudgetHack 2017 application is open to all people who have registered. After completing the sign up process, BudgetHack 2017 may at any time in its sole discretion, disqualify any participant who fails to comply with the terms and conditions set out herein including but not limited to attempting to participate in the BudgetHack 2017 without having gone through the registration process and attempting to disrupt the Budgethack 17. BudgetHack 2017 may also use its discretion to permit participants who have not gone through the registration process to participate.
You, as a participant, have the option to participate as part of a team or as an individual. A participant may not participate as both part of a team and as an individual.
Participating teams and/or individuals are required to create and develop a project to be entered in one of the challenges to be judged. Participants may only enter their project in one category.
Who owns the prototype after the hack?
It's owned by the team, you as a team have to negotiate how to handle it.
The judges will select the various winners in each category and/or of each challenge in their sole discretion. Decisions of the judges are final and binding.
Prizes and Awards
There are various prizes to be won (TBA). These prizes will be awarded to the top finalists, as chosen by the judges. All prizes must be accepted as awarded with no substitutions.
Participants who have been selected to receive a prize will be notified in person at the event or by email. In order for a participant to be declared as BudgetHack 2017 winner and be eligible for a prize, he, she or they must have complied with and remain in compliance with the terms and conditions set out herein and deliver to BudgetHack. BudgetHack 2017 may request valid proof of identity and other relevant documentation and may disqualify a participant at its sole discretion should it determine that the provided proof is not sufficient. If the prize notification is returned as undeliverable or if a selected participant does not comply with all of the above requirements within the above time frames, or does not otherwise comply with these rules, we may disqualify the finalist, and the BudgetHack 2017 judges will select a replacement finalist. BudgetHack 2017 expect to announce the names of the final winners on or around 17 May 2017. The chances of winning will depend upon the number of projects entered.
Your Intellectual Property Rights in Projects
All projects developed at the BudgetHack 2017 remain the intellectual property of the individuals and/or teams that developed them.
By registering, consenting to the terms of the BudgetHack 2017, and entering a project, however, you, the participant, agree that the organizers, sponsors and/or technology partners reserve an irrevocable, nonexlusive, royalty-free license to use, distribute to the public, and publicly display and perform a project for a period of one year starting on the date of the announcement of contest winners as an example of work.
All team members as well as BudgetHack 2017 itself must be given credits to whenever the result of the BudgetHack 2017 is mentioned, presented or displayed.
Except where otherwise prohibited by law, participation in the BudgetHack 2017 as a participant constitutes a winner’s consent to BudgetHack 2017's and/or its sponsors' use of the winner's name, photograph and/or image and/or video for promotional purposes without further notification, permission, payment or consideration. Disclaimers, liability and indemnification
BudgetHack 2017 and/or its sponsors do not accept liability for any loss or damage of any project or for any other loss or damage resulting directly or indirectly from your participation in the BudgetHack 2017 or your receipt, use or redemption of any prize(s), or your inability to receive, use or redeem any prize(s). BudgetHack 2017 and/or its sponsors are not responsible for:
(1) incorrect or inaccurate transcription of registration information or late, lost, incomplete, misdirected registrations, or registrations received through impermissible or illegitimate channels;
(2) technical failures of any kind, including the malfunctioning of any telephone, computer, network, hardware or software;
(3) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any service;
(4) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the registration process or the BudgetHack 2017;
(5) electronic or human error which may occur in the administration of the BudgetHack 2017 and/or the processing of registrations; or
(6) any injury or damage to persons or property, including your computer and/or devices, which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from your participation in the BudgetHack 2017 or from downloading or using any material provided by BudgetHack 2017 and/or its sponsors. and/or its sponsors will not be liable to you for any indirect, special, consequential, or punitive damages in connection with the BudgetHack 2017 or these terms and conditions. You hereby release and agree to indemnify and hold harmless BudgetHack 2017, its sponsors, its employees, directors, officers, affiliates, agents, the judges and advertising and promotional agencies from any and all damages, injuries, claims, causes of actions, liability or losses of any kind (including actual legal fees and expenses), known or unknown, absolute or contingent, now or in the future arising from or related to:
(a) your failure to comply with any of these terms and conditions;
(b) any misrepresentation you make under these terms and conditions;
(c) your participation in the BudgetHack 2017; or
(d) your receipt, use or redemption of any prize, or your inability to receive, use or redeem any prize.
Personal Information Consent
You consent to BudgetHack 2017 using and disclosing your personal information for the purposes of administering the BudgetHack 2017; advertisement and promotion of the BudgetHack 2017; advertisement and promotion of and/or its sponsors; providing sponsors with demographical information and/or résumés if submitted by Participants; and for the other purposes described in these terms and conditions.
Consent to Use of Your Image
You consent to and/or is to sponsors using your photo or video image and any photographs or videos of your project freely for any lawful purpose, including marketing.