We’re building the Metro Tunnel to untangle the City Loop and delivering more trams and trains.
Tracks have been laid in the Metro Tunnel and station fit out is underway. The Budget delivers $339 million to prepare the Metro Tunnel for opening, including enabling works and facilities to support Metro Tunnel network integration and operations.
The Budget also delivers $60 million for works to run Next Generation Trams in Melbourne’s west on routes 57, 59 and 82 by 2025. This package includes:
- Essendon depot stabling enabling works and track crossover relocation at Raleigh Road, Maribyrnong.
- Various critical safety works and upgrades to key tram stops.
- Works to the Melbourne Showgrounds terminus and an upgrade to the tram terminus at Moonee Ponds to enable deployment of Next Generation Trams on Route 82 and futureproof for additional siding capacity.
The Budget also makes further investments to keep Victoria moving, including:
- $353 million to expand the Kananook train maintenance stabling facility, delivering more maintenance capacity. This supports network resilience and the return of the Frankston Line trains into the City Loop upon opening of the Metro Tunnel.
- $60 million to upgrade Boronia Station supporting its accessibility to locals and creating more open space for locals.
Reviewed 20 May 2023